Case studies are all about results:
Challenge: Generate More Visibility and Higher Search Engine Rankings in Competitive Service Business.
Results: Reached an audience of ½ million TV viewers with media exposure. Increased organic keywords and page rankings for keywords and thereby increased the number of daily online reservations for the company.
- Increase number of organic keywords by 39% (from 221 to 308)
- Delivered 128 online news stories and postings on third party websites for the businesses.
- Produced 28 blogs and 11 press releases over the course of ten months.
- Reached more than 6,349 Facebook viewers on organic blog related posts.
- 67% increase number of keywords on page one in Google (from 18 – 30).
How we did it:
- We developed a mixed-media PR strategy to promote chemical-free cleaning.
- Researched trending topics and keywords for digital content
- Developed weekly blogs with internal and outbound hyperlinks
- Developed infographics on trending topics
- Shared blog posts on social media channels
- Developed an online give-away contest to collect emails of contestants
- Secured placement of contest on third party blogs
Challenge: Launch new public Art Show at Chicago’s Navy Pier
Results: A well-attended show that drew audiences from across the Midwest and produced mega sales for exhibiting artists.
- Secured more than $1 million value in earned media placements
- Three “Meetup” tours conducted with 50+ attendees per tour
- 617 tickets “sold” in advance of the event
- More than 500 new “Meetup” members registered within a month of program launch
- Facebook event page received 2,400 “interested” and 422 confirmed attendees
- More than 100 early-birds showed up each day for give-away incentive
- 1256 referral clicks delivered from media and website placements to Amdur Productions website in 30 days leading up to the show
What we did: We developed an integrated approach to publicity that incorporated traditional media, online engagement and grassroots marketing efforts
- Secured media stories on television, radio, print and online news
- Secured calendar listings for events on nearly 100 websites
- Created “Art Lovers VIP” Club with member benefits
- Create Art Lovers Meet-Up Group online and with live events at each show
- Sold “free” tickets through Event Brite to project attendance and secure information on attendees
- Created and promoted event page on Facebook
- Developed early-bird give-away incentive
Re-branding with Integrated Marketing for Geneva National
Introduced in spring of 1990, Geneva National in Lake Geneva, Wisc., was proposed as an upscale recreational-residential community, featuring custom built homes and miles of golf course and landscaped natural areas. A few years later, the community was named a “failed property.” Winger worked with Keefe Real Estate, the agency that represented Geneva National, to boost visibility among the right demographic of home buyers.
- A strategic advertising and media placement plan transformed this community.
- Winger mobilized our long-standing relationships with real estate publications, both trade and consumer, in Lake Geneva and in the surrounding Chicagoland market.
- With our guidance, Keefe and Geneva National reached a new market and a better fit: second home and vacation home buyers.
- During our three-year term of service and an unprecedented boom in the real estate market, Winger helped turn the company into one of the most sought-after second-home developments in the Midwest.
- Where to Retire Magazine has repeatedly ranked Geneva National as one of “America’s 100 Best Master-Planned Communities” and one of the best communities in which to retire.
Other Design/Build Clients We Serve
Marketing Luxury Homes for Orren Pickell Building Group
In 2008, Orren Pickell Designers & Builders, one of Chicagoland’s finest suburban homebuilders, purchased over 30 acres of land on Chicago’s exclusive North Shore to build a development of nine luxurious, custom homes. The development featured one extraordinary concept house, The Scottish Manor. Winger was charged with promoting The Scottish Manor during a devastating real estate slump. Generating buzz and visibility was key to securing sales and maintaining Pickell’s upstanding reputation.
- In order to maximize exposure of the home, Winger partnered with a powerful third party, Chicago Home+Garden magazine.
- Winger recommended and implemented a strategic advertising campaign targeting affluent clients, whose buying power typically holds steady in economic slumps, particularly for luxury or second homes.
- An aggressive public relations initiative garnered local and national recognition for the firm and the new development.
- To celebrate the grand opening of the highly anticipated concept house in the development, Winger planned an extraordinary party at the home, subsidized by Pickell’s vendors.
- While many of the real estate reporters continued to highlight the dismal state of the market, Winger developed unique stories about the home to ensure publication.
- The Scottish Manor, the “model” home […]
Media Sponsorship for American Craft Exposition
The American Craft Exposition hosts one hundred and fifty diverse artists for a major sale every year. The show has been a city staple for 25 years and proceeds are donated to breast and ovarian cancer research at NorthShore University HealthSystem’s dedicated Auxiliary. Winger was charged with maximizing a minimal ad buy for this long-standing client.
- Winger chose to partner with WGN-AM Radio, one the city’s highest rated stations which would reach our target market of educated, affluent females who are passionate about the arts.
- Our minimal ad buy resulted in over a dozen pro-bono on-air mentions of the American Craft Exposition. How did we do it?
- First, Winger met in person with well-loved WGN radio hosts Kathy and Judy to share information about the show and its cause. Together, we strategized on how they could participate.
- We proposed that they co-host an innovative online auction, selling pieces of craft that Kathy and Judy created with the help of local artists from the show. They proudly promoted their work on-air and the station’s website.
- Radio stations in particular are looking for creative ways to […]
Health Care Media Relations for Northshore University HealthSystem
Winger Marketing has worked closely with the NorthShore University HealthSystem (formerly Evanston Northwestern Healthcare) and its Corporate Communications Department to support it’s (at the time) three hospital system. At the time, the Integrative Medicine Program was new and it was our assignment to promote the new service line and create awareness for its new director. In response to the ongoing debate about the merits of integrative medicine, we developed a media relations campaign to dispel myths about this type of care.
- Winger developed strategic key messages that demonstrated the importance of complementary and alternative medicine practices.
- Publicity materials that highlighted the advantages of integrative medicine were created and distributed.
- We arranged a luncheon in which the famous “father” of integrative medicine, Dr. Andrew Weil, spoke. Dr. Weil discussed the innumerable benefits of incorporating this type of program into a hospital setting.
- Dr. Weil’s luncheon was a sold-out success. The talk was attended by the hospital’s target audience of elite philanthropists.
- Key media representatives, including the senior editor of Chicago magazine, were invited and attended.
- Winger Marketing used the topic of integrative medicine to generate a cover story for the annual “medical” […]
Growing Your Trade Show
The North American Reptile Dealers Conference & Trade Show is the world’s largest traveling reptile conference. During its third year in Anaheim, CA the producers of the event looked to Winger Marketing to increase visibility and attendance. While the target audience of the show is reptile enthusiasts, Winger needed to look beyond traditional trade outreach and boost attendance.
North American Reptile Breeders Conference:
- Winger developed an innovative advertising campaign to publicize the event to the masses, particularly families with young children. Complimentary tickets were distributed to local Boy and Girl Scout troops as well as local elementary schools to increase family attendance.
- An eye-catching billboard with vibrant reptiles was strategically placed on a popular highway.
- Winger partnered with the popular local radio station KROQ to develop several spots which publicized the show. KROQ distributed tickets to its listeners through promotions and giveaways.
- The show commissioned two prominent UFC wrestlers to appear, expanding their reach to a complementary audience. Winger then embarked on a viral marketing campaign to alert fans through online fan outlets.
- A public relations program with comprehensive press kits and B-roll of the highly visual event alerted the press. Persistent follow-ups kept journalists and television outlets apprised of the upcoming […]
Grassroots Campaign for Howard Brown Health Center
Howard Brown Health Center is the Midwest’s largest LGBT health services center. Its work includes the Broadway Youth Center – a walk-in clinic providing free STD and AIDS screening, as well as counseling, to gay youths and young adults. Winger Marketing sought to increase the word-of-mouth buzz surrounding Howard Brown’s non-profit work in the community and the services available for young adults. Additionally, we sought to drive at-risk youth to Howard Brown’s free screenings for STDs and AIDS.
- We created and executed an awareness stunt in which we draped obelisk statues in a gay Chicago neighborhood with 15-foot-tall condoms to promote safe sex awareness during National Condom Week.
- We alerted the media, but our real goal was word-of-mouth – both online and in the neighborhoods Howard Brown serves. Our strategy included ensuring that the early morning time for the stunt coordinated with television morning show filming schedules as well as with Valentine’s Day weekend.
- We worked diligently to find a sponsor to support the construction of the condoms. Without successfully finding a condom company to sponsor the stunt, Winger went forward to construct the giant “condoms” out of fabric ourselves with the help of Howard […]
B2B Marketing for Health Care
Sullivan, Cotter and Associates, an executive compensation consulting firm in the health care world, wanted to extend the reach of its research – comprehensive annual surveys of hundreds of hospitals and health care systems on compensation trends. The firm was in the throes of a rapid growth plan. They needed marketing support and media attention that could catapult their reputation onto a national stage.
Taking an integrated marketing approach, we mobilized our relationship with the nation’s largest weekly healthcare trade magazine, Modern Healthcare, a division of Crain’s. Through carefully-crafted news releases, we negotiated the annual pick-up of SullivanCotter’s survey results in the publication, contributing to a cover story every year since. After three years, we parlayed a strategic marketing buy with the magazine into an educational webinar, a first for SullivanCotter and the magazine. The webinar was moderated by Modern Healthcare’s highly-respected publisher and attended by nearly one hundred key executives.
When Sullivan, Cotter and Associates came to us, they were conducting business by word of mouth and had established three office locations. In year two of our relationship, this regionalized business expanded from Chicago, Detroit and Atlanta to eight more offices nationwide. Today, the firm is recognized […]
Maximizing a marketing budget during a recession is imperative to the long-term health of a company. After relocating their headquarters to Chicago, the executives and the marketing director at Ziegler had the foresight to note that the only way to successfully continue increasing the company’s presence and media coverage was by maximizing the existing human resources. They needed to train the marketing department to incorporate public relations into the investment firm’s overall marketing strategy.
- Train the team to think like PR strategists.
- Create a custom public relations training program that both mid and senior level staff would find meaningful.
- Outline the basics of PR, Media Relations, Crisis PR and Social Media.
- Study and analyze real life PR case studies and existing PR issues at the company.
- Create a PR plan for each area of specialty.
- Work with small groups of staff on current PR issues and develop a strategy.
- The staff now has a PR road map and work plan for each specialty area.
- The company has learned to leverage PR industry tools and increase their exposure.
- The company has a crisis PR plan and process in place should they ever need it.
- The marketing department […]